Originally Posted by Rooster7
Got it. And that is sensible reply. But would you trust that dog if it got loose and was running around the neighborhood with other dogs and little kids? Can you say for sure that it won't freak out like a lot of pits do?

With little kids? Absolutely. I trust my pit around children more than i do strangers around kids. We have soooo many sleep-overs at our house (btw daughter in middle school and son in elementary) kids visiting used to be almost weekly. Now, it's more often during summer b/c of homework, etc.

He doesn't run off anymore and was never a problem when he did.

Anyway, we have kids that aren't raised around dogs (or any pets really) that have stayed over and our pit just walks up to 'em and leans his head next to them. He's pretty gentle - doesn't jump up on people, etc. We've had kids pull on his lips, ears, tail and he just sorta walks off. Mostly he will come lay beside me if he's all "peopled out".

If we're outside (me in the garage or under one of our cars) and kids come riding by often they will walk over to where's laying in the sun. By the time i see 'em, he is usually sitting up and licking the kids as they pet him.

Do i trust him with other dogs? Yep - he's always up for a game of "you sniff my starfish and i'll sniff yours". Though he won't leave the yard/driveway or even cross the sidewalk to be friendly.

On one occasion about a month ago this guy was walking a couple dogs (one GSD and the other i don't really know what kind) past my house.

Anyway, my dog must have stood up (his packing blanket bed is usually maybe 25' from the side walk) and I heard this guys dogs going nuts. They had pulled their owner into my driveway and my dog hopped up to play a little brown-eye sniffing. Once I heard the ruckus I turned to see all that and dashed over.

So this guy was trying to muscle his dogs outta my driveway as mine just stayed where he was - about 5' from his packing-blanket bed. I will say he had his back hairs all up and was looking "intently".

Being neighborly (though I'd never seen him before) I said, "Sorry!". He replies, "You oughta control your dog better". I was thinking WTF?!? - I told him keep his animals outta my drive or the next time they'll get shot. I then praised my dog for restraining himself and he got a nice treat.