Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Originally Posted by ribka
How do you get home owners insurance with a pit bull in the house?

I had three different carriers in my life as a home owner and they always asked i I owned a pit or rottie. Said if owned either of those 2 breeds would not insure me

It's not just Pits or Rotts. Here is a list from one of the insurance companies I represent:

"Do you or any household member own one or more of the following breeds or a mix of one of these breeds of dog?

Akita, Alaskan Malamute, American Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Chow Chow, Doberman Pinscher, Pit Bull, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Wolf Hybrid."

A previous poster said people will lie about the type of dogs they have in order to get homeowners insurance. That is true, and I've had it happen in my Agency.

The problem arises when there is a claim for a dog bite and the insurance company finds out the homeowners lied on the application. At that point, the insurance company can deny coverage and will most likely cancel the policy asap. The homeowner is then left to pay for damages all on their own.

How much of your money do you think a jury will award the family of a 4yo, whose face was mauled by your dog?

There are insurance companies that will insure homes with the above named breeds in them, but there are fewer such companies each year.

They should add Shar pei's to that list . The one my mother had was psycho and powerful. He hung himself in curtain cords a couple of times and live to tell about it. He turned on her a couple of times ,no damage ,just would grab her hand and not let go. Did not even break skin, but you could not get him off with out a punch in the eye.........
That dog would not have lived past one time, with that little trick.