About 2 years ago my daughter wanted a Chihuahua and bought a shelter dog with her own $. I thought it would be good to add another dog slightly larger for our Pit-Mix to have a slightly better equipped play mate so we adopted another shelter type dog (lab-mix) at the same time. My mistake there.

The other dogs would eat our Pit's food, take his favorite bones, whatever. He was non-aggressive. In fact, the Chihuahua would jump on his back and attempt to do the "dominance" thing (the humping "wild-thing" move) - it was hilarious!!! Our pit would just look at the CHihuahua with a "WTF are you doing" kinda look.

However, he did growl once and that pretty much ended the others from raiding his food bowl. He was the Alpha dog, but never asserted it physically - other than rough play with the Lab mix. He was gentle with the Chihuahua - though it looked like he was gonna tear it's head off - he never once got aggressive with it.

Unfortunately, the Lab-mix ripped the Chihuahua's throat one night after we returned from a day of skiing (as my daughter watched her dog getting shook like a rag-doll - she still cries about it).

I hated that barky little bastid Chihuahua, but as it was bleeding out while i held it my rage against the other dog was rising Tsunami style. My wife made me re-holster my P220 as i held that poor little Chihuahua (she didn't want the kids to see me kill the Lab).

We rushed the Chihuahua to an Emergency Vet, but were just too late. It died on the table. We then took my wife to the ER to get her hand stitched up (she tried to take the Chihuahua out of the Lab-mixes mouth and got bit).

The next day i took the Lab-mix to the Humane Shelter to be destroyed (they agreed to do the deed and not re-adopt out). My wife didn't want me to kill it as the kids loved the Lab-mix too...

But our Pit was (is) calm as a cucumber - steady as a rock.