Originally Posted by 325Abn
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by 325Abn
[quote=325Abn]

But our Pit was (is) calm as a cucumber - steady as a rock.

Until it's not...

I've seen the times when he may have - hair on his back standing up, head and tail down growling. But, he didn't leave my side.

He's four years - gonna be five soon. I know my dog. Others may not have invested the time, whatever, i can't attest to their experiences, but i know mine.

I take him to dog parks where he runs w/other dogs freely. Never a problem. Usually it's the GSD's and Rotties that are problematic. My Pit plays hard with them as they try to bite him, roll him - whatever. It doesn't work... He could easily throat them - his jaws and teeth are scary, but he really is just playful - sometimes quite rough, but playful.

Until it's not...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying that pit owners are playing with fire...

Meh - GFY!

J/K - no worries. I remain ever vigilant. Thanks for the concern.

If our Pit even remotely did anything that communicated non-compliance or reluctance to obey orders (which are precursors to aggression) I am watching and he gets a thump on the head. He knows to look for it. He knows when he's on shaky ground.

I wonder if that could be one of the problems with owners of strong-willed dogs. The dogs are always looking to move up the chain-of-command.

One lapse and they think they're movin' on up! It takes a willingness to invest the time to *always* not accept less than 100% immediate obedience. It can be taxing at times (like kids/teenagers really....)

I'm generally a fun-loving sorta guy - until things are such that that it is no longer appropriate. My dog knows it too.

Got it. And that is sensible reply. But would you trust that dog if it got loose and was running around the neighborhood with other dogs and little kids? Can you say for sure that it won't freak out like a lot of pits do?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...