Originally Posted by sse
It was suggested you are playing with fire. I'm not sure if you agree with that, but if not, why did you take all of these elaborate precautions in handling the pit?

I didn't take any extra precautions really, i just don't let my dogs roam all over the place unsupervised. Any dog.

Dogs don't need to have free, unfettered access to the whole world - people need to be responsible. If i wasn't outside, my dog didn't need to be either (unless in the fenced in back yard).

I knew pits needed a more structured socialization so i checked with people i know who know dogs.

Incidentally, i didn't use physical discipline as a 1st resort. I used repeated verbal commands and worked patiently and diligently to teach him - not merely to punish nor presume intentional disobedience.

I love animals and believe animal neglect or abuse needs to be punishable in kind to the human perpetrators. I've never abused any of my pets - though I have delivered an occasional rap on the head when warranted.

This was in the same manner as my K9 trainer friend. The police dog he had that got the occasional knock on the skull had been with him for a couple years and knew what was expected. It was never the 1st (at least when i watched them train together) response.