I wonder about market share though. To me, I would think that would be more indicative. Looking at Leupold in the same way that I would examine an individual stock...even though L&S is not publicly traded...I doubt it would be a "buy and hold".
Using new gun owners as a metric of growth might look good in the short term...but I think the new low information owners are buying the name and reputation of a once dominant company, not a good foundation for long term market share.
Personally I'm not emotional about Leupold, I only have a couple left from 20 or so over the years, slowly trading them out, not because of failures, but because there are a number of low priced scopes that respond to adjustments instantly, and in these years of "out of stock" components, I like to shoot as few shots as possible to verify zero. And it's not just me, I have a number of people who use my shooting range, so I see a broad spectrum of equipment and shooter ability...Leupold tracking is not an imaginary problem..it exists.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.