Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have tried a few of their newer scopes since then, and they worked, though not any better than a bunch of other brands. I still have several Leupolds on rifles, but most are old M8s, which fit and look better on my "classic" hunting rifles. Otherwise I use several brands/models that work better on more modern rifles.....

What other brands and please expound on how those brands "work better on more modern rifles".

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have mentioned a few times before, here and there, that I've now "broken" scopes of 20 different brands just by shooting the rifles they were mounted on. That's brands, not individual scopes. Of course a lot of that occurred when I was writing more than one magazine column about hunting optics, so was shooting quite a bit.

The "dialing" scopes I'm using on longer-range rifles these days have mostly turned out to be made by Light Optical Works, which apparently knows how to do that stuff. They've also been supposedly different "brands," but they all tend to work reliably--and even if they eventually didn't', have lasted longer than others.

What was that other brand of scope you used on your rifles a while back? You offered to send me one to test when we met at SHOT years ago, but a sample never showed up.

John

You might have me confused with someone else at SHOT. Last time I saw you and Eileen Leupold was the only scope I was putting on the rifles. As I sell rifles with optics I would not offer to send out optics for free just for fun. We can agree you never paid for an optic so the wait at the mailbox for a free one was a long wait.

These day we offer a few more choices because there are a lot more good choices. Maven is by far our next most used scope and I would say it's LOWs best effort. I don't like FFP but others do so Maven brings the best that LOW can do at a good price.

If you want to see some Mavens in action I can make it happen. I assume you have access to places to stretch things out but if not I have private ranges out to more than a mile with targetry.

I would be interested in seeing your optics setup that "work better on more modern rifles" than Leupold and I am sure the Campfire would be interested.

Let me know.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.