Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Clynn
It would be interesting to have an optical engineer disassemble a , let's say a perfectly tracking Nightfforce and imperfectly tracking Leupold and point out as to why the difference in performance.

Unfortunately, unless the mechanical issue is a big one (cracked erector tube, broken preload spring, etc), just taking a scope apart will either destroy or cover up what the issues are. A lot of tracking issues have to to with how the erector assy fits into the supporting pieces at the end. This clearance is set or at least checked by the scope assemblers. So it comes back to Q.C. issues...either in mfg'ing, assembly or both. It's not economical for the scope mfg. to spend the time to diagnose...they either replace everything or replace the scope. March is the only one I know of that does a detailed disassembly....might be some others, though.

I was able to fix this one as the issue with the reticle 'jumping' was pretty apparent. The erector tube was galled under the adjuster foot due to the center adjustment pin not being in contact with the tube right out of the box. After being smoothed out and having the center pin adjusted properly, it worked well and continues to do so.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good shootin' smile -Al

Makes sense.