Originally Posted by Eremicus
Regardless of the load, I like mine zeroed so they don't rise more than 3 inches as they get out there. Even a little less is OK.
I used to do three inches at 100 and call it good. But I've found with some loads/rifles, that put me 5 inches up at the mid to 2/3's point. That's too much when combined with the usual field position group sizes. ...

For years now I have used a MPBR zero calculated for a maximum 3� rise for all my rifles. My philosophy is to be able keep shots in a pie plate sized group. Too much rise makes this more difficult. As E says, combine a 3� rise with shooter error and it�s easy to miss.

Rather than try to expand maximum range by increasing maximum bullet rise, I prefer to use a laser with chrono�d loads, MPBR�s for a 6� diameter target, and a drop compensating reticle (be it mil-dots or something else, my favorite being the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle). Coupled, of course, with verification at the range...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.