CH, Actually you are saying the same thing,just in a differnt way. Using your MPBR, at some distance you are dead on,you just don't know what that distance is and you are satisfied that as long as your bullet strikes anywhere in the pie plate range you are satisfied.

You could do the same thing by knowing that particular distance that it is dead on, sight the rifle in and then know it will be within the pie plate at any range.As long as you can put all the bullets in a single hole, this is fine,but if one has a rifle that will only do 1 minute of accuracy,and the average hunting rifle will most likley do 1&1/2 minutes, things get dicey, as that 3" can float to 4-4.5 inches. Fine on paper, but goes out the window on the range or while hunting. However, from many of you past post, I understand that most if not all of your firearms do better than theaverage .

At some point in time,you have to select what range you shoot at to zero your rifle/ load combo to achieve MPBR.

I do the same thing,only I select 100yds and I am satisfied that my rifle/load combo will put the bullet in the kill zone from say 25 yds to 150 yds, only in a area smaller than a pie plate. Then I check my setting at 50, 100, 200, and 300 yds at the range. I tape those figures to my stock for reference should I ever need them, but so far I can't remember that I did. It's not arbitrary at all,just what is suitable for conditions that each person hunts in.

Not being argumentive here,just saying that maybe what we all are saying is the samething,only in differnt words.Obviously whatever setting we chose,an elk or deer is not going to run out to that particular distance and stop so one can shoot it.
I think it is more correct to say I sight dead on at 100,200 300yds etc than to say I sight in 3" high at 100 yds or? Which is what the original poster asked anyway.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles