All I can say is that many a time those bull elk are going to be just a tad further out than any 200 yards hunting out on public land. I always zero my elk (.338 win mag) rifle's at 300 yards dead on target. Now at 400 yards just aim top of the shoulder and behind and your in business.

I can certainly see by reading some of these posts, that we have a whole lot of experienced elk hunters commenting on zeroing a rifle for elk out West! Shooting at an elk on a 45-degree incline or decline is no different at 300 yards than it is a 200 yards, you still must compensate for the angle of the frigging shot.

The killing area on a bull elk is around the 20 x 16 inches at least! So if you can hit a 12 x 12 inch target, at 300 yards, your good to go. Now if you can't hit that 12 x 12 inch target, then you best practice up some more or rub your rabbits foot for that elk to come in to you under 200 yards perhaps. Now any guide worth his salt will tell you at camp to make sure your zeroed in with your rifle at 300 yards.

If he or she sees you can NOT hit squat with your gun, they will try to get you closer for the kill shot. I wonder if some of the people here have ever shot at a target past 200 yards. It certainly does seem so by reading these posts. I also believe the .270 Winchester is a little light for bull elk, unless you load your own with Nosler Partiton bullets in the 160 grain weight. I lean towards a 30-06 caliber rifle, with 180 grainers in the magazine much better suited for those big animals out West.

Last edited by Tonk; 02/04/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN