Originally Posted by Lee24
It is easier to adjust 2 or 3 inches low for a 100 yard shot than it is to hold over 13 to 26 inches for a 300 or 400 yard shot.

Set your scope 2 inches high and you don't have to adjust anything from 0 to 225 or 250 yards, depending on the loads.

After 250 yards, you are going to be adjusting, anyway.
Learn your rifle.

Huh? My 3� max rise zeroing give me -3� MPBRs past 300 yards with several rifles and loads. Even with my Ballistic Plex reticles I don�t use the extra hashes until about 400 yards.

A second solution is to have 2 loads or two sight settings.

BDC reticles give you more than two sight settings. Having two loads and trying to switch between them is way more hassle than I want to deal with.

I have a .270 with an aperture sight and a scope in a quick detachable mount. The iron sight is zeroed at 150 yards.
The scope is zeroed at 250 yards with 130-gr loads.
The rifle shoots 140-gr Hornady loads higher, so the zero is 325 yards.

With the highest BC Hornady 140g bullet (the SST @ .495) at 3000fps, a 325 yard zero will give you a mid-range trajectory of about +5.6� at 180 yards. Thanks, but no thanks.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.