Bob, right on.But my argument is why not sight in for dead on at 100 yds if almost all kills are at 100yds or less.
In my tally of about 38 elk, I can only remember five being in excess of that. One was with a .308, two with a 7mag and two with an .06. BTW. The two with the .06 were two cows at 347 yards( lasered the next year)that were standing next to each other and I had two tags. Three shots, from the .06. The load was a 220 gr Sierra RN,sighted in for 100 yards dead on.The first shot was low, I corrected and then dropped the two elk.
For me, it is far easier to compensate for those very few instances than to worry about high/low scenarios. Most of my shots are threading a bullet through blow downs or aspen thickets.

Contrary to this,my pronghorn rifle, a 6.5 Swded is sighted in at dead on at 200 as this is where most of my goats are shot.Usually at about 150 yds.

I also have a load of 180 gr Sierras that shoot dead on at 200 when my .06 is sighted in at 100 with the 220's. I shot that bull this year with that load at about 60 yds and it went a little high,still putting the bull down immediately. It could have gone wrong as I had usually loaded with the 220's and did a neck/spine shot. Guess 2" didn't make much difference at that distance though.

My theory is sight in for the distance on which your most likely shots will occur and compensate for all others. Long shots seem to all have the common theme of having a a lot more time to correct for distance than short snap shooting.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles