Originally Posted by Lee24
It is easier to adjust 2 or 3 inches low for a 100 yard shot than it is to hold over 13 to 26 inches for a 300 or 400 yard shot.

Well...geeez,someone finally said it........this just seems to make a whole bunch of sense to me.....while many of us worry about shots in brush at close range,what we fail to remember sometimes is that a 3" high zero at 100 with a 30/06 works out to about 1"-1.5" high at 50 yards;it also assumes that the shooter can hold MOA from off hand under hurried conditions while shooting at a buck that has a chest 18" deep, shoulders, vitals, etc.We do well to hit these at all under stress.

All of a sudden, that 3" midrise dissapears....you can prove it to yourself by setting up a 10" black bull at 100;shoot it offhand for awhile with a 3" high zero;the site setting will be buried in your group size...not many are such finely tuned machines that we can group MOA off hand at 100 yards....or 50 for that matter....

As Lee points out, I would rather "worry" about a 2-3" correction at 100 than a 7-10" correction at 300,or much more at 400.

Quoting Bob Jourdan in Precision Shooting,March 1999...."Ballistic Coeeficients for Big Game Hunters"...who in turn quoted O'Connor,who said....."only a sucker would sight in a 30/06 for 200 yards for hunting...."

Hey I didn't say it...O'Connor did....back off! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.