saddlesore:You could know 400 if you lazed it and had time to do so.Some are pretty good at estimating distance if they have shot a lot.And there is always your reticle as well.Sometimes all in combination.

Distance is not as big an issue as flexibility in a sighting system that takes into consideration that animals are not static targets that come at predetermined distances.

Whatever system you use,be familiar with it.Not included in my repetoire is any system requiring me to alter zero while in the presence of game.That is one of my points that I am trying to make.And yes I would rather rely on gravity to 400-500 yards than a scope manufacturer's promise that a turret does not have slack,will not wear out,and will give reliable adjustments.On an expensive, or difficult hunt,or self-guided where I have waited years for a permit,I won't trust a scope manufacturer's word that a scope will adjust accordingly, with my hunt.I'll rely on me, and a flat shooting rifle,zeroed for the task at hand.

Like you, I have the Tshirt,too! grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/08/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.