Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Imo, no!

But also imo, a 200 grainer (which will have a much better BC than the slower moving round-nosed 220 grainers), moving from the mid 2400s to the mid 2500s, will be equally as effective for the short ranges and of course would be better should your shooting distances be greater than expected.

For elk and bear, I don`t see what a 220 grainer could do for you that a 200 grainer could not do or even a good 190 for that matter.

In my over 40 years of hunting using the 30 caliber, I`ve never used a 220 gr bullet.

Better versatility with a 200.

Well you can say that, because you admit to never using a 220 grain bullet..

having used both, I can tell you that many 200 grain 30 cal bullets are very very hard, so they are better served in a magnum... in a slower velocity rig such as a 308, they will not open up very well at all...

however a 220 grain RN will open up right down to around 1400 fps.. and its high sectional density will allow it to penetrate like no tomorrow..

as I understand, the 308 with a 220 grain RN is used quite frequently in Africa for herd control on Elephants by Fish and Game Depts..head shots yeah... but that 220 grain RN will sure penetrate...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez