WOW! This thread is alive! Seems like an old friend. Back in mid 2011 I was lurking around looking for load ideas for my newly purchased marlin 336 . . . I was working in Germany and missing my rifles very much. Although this thread back in 2010 deteriorated quickly, Seafire posted some interesting information that made sense to me.

Back home in early 2012 I started my journey shooting 220 grain RN bullets in my (then) 30/30.
My experience - doing my best to be brief:

- A healthy dose of AA2520 with Sierra 220rn got me to just under 2000 fps, shot into about 2-3� at 100y but were making oblong holes in my target. I stopped adding powder when I encountered stiff extraction. May have been able to get a little faster with a different powder but I lost interest and forgot about the 220s for a while.

- In early 2013 I decided to lengthen the action by 1/8� and was able to seat standard 308 cal bullets at the cannelure and have the rounds cycle through the action, still wasn�t able to increase velocity with the 220s. Accuracy seemed to improve, made clean round holes in my targets.

- Having thought about the stiff extraction and what causes it in the 336 � I chose to increase my powder capacity by re-chambering to 308 win and replaced the original bolt with a 35 rem bolt. The rifle still holds 6 in the tube. I load 40 grains of IMR4064 which gets me about 2200 fps. Much over 40 grains and I run into the stiff extraction again (full pressure commercial 308 loads also yield stiff extraction). I haven�t experimented with other powders. Still shoots into about 2� using the skinner sights. I have very little patience for shooting on a bench . . . I�m sure the load is more capable than my shooting.

100 years ago, my great grandfather hunted the same woods I hunt today. He carried an 1895 Winchester chambered in 30-40 Krag. My 336 roughly duplicates the capability his rifle in a shorter and lighter package. I�ll soon carry my rifle elk hunting and I�m confident the 220 RN bullets will get the job done if the opportunity arises.

Thank you all for this thread with its years of information and entertainment!!