Originally Posted by BFaucett
I've personally never tried a 220 gr in the .308 Win (and it's been a long time since I owned a .308). I am a big fan of the 220 gr round nose in the .30-06, FWIW.

Seems to me that the .30-40 Krag with 220 gr bullets and the .303 British with 215 gr bullets (both at around 2000-2100 fps muzzle velocity) had pretty good reputations back in the day for being reliable game getters.

Winchester used to a load a 200 gr in the .308 Win with a stated muzzle velocity of 2450 fps (24" barrel). I'd bet a 308 Win could easily push a 220 gr bullet to around 2250-2300 fps.

Just my musings....
-Bob F.

You would be absolutely right. I have one of the earlier Loadbooks for the .308 win. that gices a fair amount of data for 220 gr. bullets in the .308. Later editions no longer have that dats which I feel is a mistake.
Of all the data shown, most suitable powders will give loads in the 2250 FPS range, give of take a few FPS. The one standout was W-760 so I decided to play a little with it, more out of curiosity than anything else.
First the data. The powder is W-760. Starting load is 42.0 gr. for 2244 FPS at 42,000 PSI. The maximum load is 44.0 gr. for 2295 FPS at 46,900 PSI. Note the low pressure figures.
I worked up to the max load with the Sierra 220 gr. RN and the Hornady 220 gr. RN. Early on the Sierra was proving to be the more accurate bullet.
Final chronographed velocity figure from two rifles, a Ruger RSI tang safety with 18.5" barrel and a Winchester M70 push feed with 22" barrel. The Ruger averaged 2250 FPS with both bullets with accuracy barely usable. To be fair, that rifle has ben srictly a one trick pony, only shooting 165 gr. Speer Hot-cores with any decency. Te Winchester on the other hand gave an average velocity of 2310 FPS and one inch groups with the Hornady bullet and .375" with the Sierras. Amzing as supposedly, the .308 is no good with the heavier bullets and two, 1 in 12" twist .30 caliber barrels are not supposed to be able to handle 220 gr. bullets. Maybe tht might be true with spitzer and spitzer boat tail bullets but it sure did put those Sierras into a nicely crowded group. So much for some of the BS found in some gun rags.
That's the results I got in my experimentation with those bullets. Considering how low the pressure is reputed to be, based on the book, I've often wondered just much farther I could push it? I'd probably not use th Ruger the next time and concentrate on what that Winchester will do.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE