Never in a .308 as my standard feed for my 88 is a 165 gr Sierra GK or a 180 gr Sierra RN. Mostly a muley round ,but did kill some elk with it years ago.

I have been using the 220 gr Sierra RN for quite a few years, if not many years in my .06. Probably velocity is about 2600 + or-. It's been a few years since I chronographed them. I loaded up 200 rounds probably 7-8 years ago and still have about 180 left. That is more than a life time supply for me at my age and I still have few boxes of Sierra 180 gr GK to use. Not to get into another discussion, or argument with the professionals around here, but that is why I recently had a brake installed on my .06 so I could use those loads.

I don't know why every one keeps saying it is a short range bullet. I have killed elk with them from 15 yards to 300 yards and some change. This was verified with a Lieca Range Finder.

A few years ago, I think Mule Deer had an article and in it he stated he could not see why anyone would use the 220gr and he didn't have a use for it. The 200 gr did just as well. It might very well be true. However, I have tipped over quite a few elk with the 220 grain Sierra RN and it does so with authority .So I won't try to fix something that isn't broke for me.

If you can develope a load for it in a .308 ,go for it. It will more than suffice for elk.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/31/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles