Hey guys,

We owned 140 acres in Security, between Cleveland and Conroe, Tx. for 47 years. You couldn't pay me to deer hunt east Texas. I've had all the skeeters, pine cones, humidity and lack of game diversity that I wanted.

I've hunted the Hill Country every year since 1999. For about 6 years between 2003 and 2009 I paid for two leases. Hunted RockSprings, Brackettville, Vanderpool, and now am at Reagan Wells. In 1999 we paid $1100. Since then I've been paying between $1500 and $1800 per year. All low fenced ranches between 3,0000 and 50,000 acres. Been hunting with the same group. This will be my 12th season with them. Don't kill big deer like south Texas, but sure do enjoy nailin' hogs, varmints, turkey and hill country deer, not to mention sheep, goats, audad and javelina. I've taken free range blackbuck, Sika, and Audad with no trophy fee. I guess I could bitch about the price, but I don't. On the leases we've been on I can go up any time I want. I go up once a month, stay 3 or 4 days, snare and shoot hogs, call varmints, hunt spring turkey, hunt dove, can take 5 deer. So, when considering deer season, I probably make 18 trips a year. Now it costs money for Ice, diesel, food, beer and sundries. But what else/where else can I spend 3 to 4 days, having a ball, riding 4 wheelers, sitting around a campfire, away from civilization, this cheap ($1800 divided by 18 trips).
Best
GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/29/10.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.