Originally Posted by Rodngun
Its all good Rost -
It has its + and - but like all things - some of us hunt just to hunt and not looking for trpohies evry single day we are in the blind - not saying you are - just saying that to much emphasis is being put on Racks vs meat..I dont have to kill a 19 inch spread 10 pointer every year..the hardest thing to do is to get all the landowners on the same sheet of music - and the landowners are just not going to do that-

To be honest if all you want to do is kill deer and pack the freezer you can literally get in some places that people will nearly pay you to go out and shoot does in the late season with late season tags.

Killing "a deer" anywhere in TX that's open to a whitetail season is no great feat and honestly on a lot of ranches I've worked on they wind up bringing in people/kids/groups in late season and bribing them with big meals/bbq's etc....to kill does because people who are out there hunting all season literally get tired of killing deer.

How many deer can you kill before you wind up just staying home? I can tell you from experience in TX that averages out to be about 3-4 deer before the average hunter says I'll just stay home and I've had enough even if they have 10 more management tags in their pocket. The biggest hurddle in almost all of TX for managers is getting people to kill enough freaking deer, which is why the season goes 5 months and you can hunt deer with nearly anything and everything etc...

Otto is my co-pilot.