As has been said, find out where you're working and then look for a place to live based on the commute. The northeast valley is Scottsdale which tends to be some of the pricier real estate in the valley. I'd suggest looking in north Phoenix, possibly Cave Creek. Desert Ridge is definately an area I would look at, it bsaically stradles both sides of Tatum Blvd. going north of the Loop 101. Depending where you are in the northeast valley, I'd suggest avoiding Mesa, the commute coming north on the 101 can be brutal. Also 202 and US60 west bound in the mornings is one of the worst commutes in Phoenix.

There are bargains to be had right now in real estate, but you do need to be careful. My wife just had a co-worker relocate here and they said finding a house on the market with clean title, no back payment or pending foreclosure issues was a challenge. They did end up buying a foreclosure well below market value after several attempts on other houses. One was a short sale in which the potential sellers did not notify the bank, this came out in the conference room during closing and the deal fell through. Another was a foeclosure they got into a bidding war on and wisely backed out before the price went above current market value. If looking at foreclosures and short sales, make sure that you have a real estate agent who understands the complexities of them.

Avoid areas on the fringes of town. They sprang up quick during the real estate boom and have taken the hardest hit. Prices have dropped dramatically, but so has the quality of the neighborhoods they are in.

Phoenix does have a lot to offer, primarily location. A 5 hour drive or a 1 hour flight with cheap fares gets you to Los Angeles, San Diego or Las Vegas. Southern Utah and its National Parks is a half days drive away. There's also a lot within the state, the Mogollon Rim, White Mountains; it's not all cactus. rocks and desert. Ben Avery is a large range with multiple rifle, pistol and clay target ranges operated by Fish & Game on the north side of town. Cost of living isn't bad; taxes are low, real estate is a bargain right now, the only excption being car insurance rates down here do suck.

Good luck in making a decision. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask.