Originally Posted by DaveR
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
PHX is no different than LA (crime, traffic, too many people, etc) with added heat.

ML

I hope no one actualy believes this.

As I said, I can see downtown from my front yard. I can also go a 1/4 mile from my house and hunt on public land, or drive the 36 miles to Sky Harbor in 40-50 minutes at any time of day.

Is it a big city with the attendant constraints? Of course. But it's nowhere near the bottom for either crime, traffic, or overcrowding.

Let me retract not not the same as L.a but close, its no small town... I will venture to say probably more drug related killings than most other cities too.

I can drive to LAX in 40 minutes too if i time it right but with SNA 8 miles away I can be there in 15 minutes so never go through LAX . I will gladly pay more to stay out of LA county.

As for CCW I don't believe you can carry concealed in PHX.

FWIW it is only a few notches north of L.A. in my book if I'm given the choice on where to live. Lots of hunting opportunities close by though.

ML

A couple MAJOR differences between the People's Republic of Kalifornia and AZ...

AZ is the definition of a 2nd ammendment friendly state. Open carry, one of the first with the Shall Issue carry, and now only the 3rd state I believe with "Alaska Carry". I always say about California that it's doubtful you could take your guns, get in your car, and drive to where you want to be shooting, without being in violation of some stupid gun law along the way. Run across a young, dumb, over eager tree cop, and your day (and potentially your life) could be ruinned by arrest, confiscation, etc.

And, when you do want to go out and enjoy your guns, hunting, hiking, etc., in AZ, there is not a "Private Property, Keep Out" sign at every turn. Plenty of public land available to do whatever your heart desires very close to the major metro area of the valley, and out your back door if you so chose in most of the rest of the state. I've found NOTHING even remotely like that within 3 hours of Los Angeles. All the while worrying about violating some gun law. I gave up. Made more sense to drive the 6 hours or so to where I grew up West of Flag and do my outdoors activities there where you don't have those problems.

Big cities are big cities, and you'll have problems in them no matter where they are. It's what's availabe right outside of those cities (and the rights you have while in them) that make all the difference in the world IMO. In that regard, Phoenix just smokes Los Angeles.

if you grew up west of flag, then that indicates williams, ashfork, seligman, or kingman.
telling my future son in law saturday while leaving williams i had been going up there since the 50's with my father.
love that little town.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO