Originally Posted by Tuco
I was born in Tempe, a Phoenix suburb, and have lived in Arizona my entire life (56 years), mostly in Phoenix. I am now at a point in my life that I hate living here. As many posters have observed, the pollution, traffic, and crime are now out-of-sight, to say nothing of the transmogrification of Phoenix into Mexico Norte. In addition, the entire state seems to have been hijacked by carpetbaggers and Rinos (e.g., John McCain). I'm largely indifferent to the heat; I don't particularly like it, but it's something one simply grows accustomed to.

I'll admit that Phoenix is still preferable to, say, Gary IN or Detroit. However, when I think back on the Phoenix of the 1970's and earlier, I'm stunned at how much it's deteriorated from what it once was.

well, you are just a youngin since i am 62. I tell people tempe is now where the gays live. I started at A.S.U. when i didn't have any sense, in 66 before all the concrete, and before i got smart and went to flagstaff. I can remember in the 50's coming down from prescott to my sisters house at 18st and thomas which was pretty much the edge of town, when the cities in the valley were actually separated. We use to take the bus down to central and the fox theater.
As to william ranger district, it is kind of funny. I got a brochure from them a couple of years ago explaining you were in bear country. If encountering a bear, you were supposed to shake a can with pebbles in it to discourage the bear.
One of the areas a lifelong friend of mine is interested in his northwest new mexico accross from springerville. Water rights ARE an issue but neat country. reminds me a lot of early arizona. Except you have to deal with the even more liberal politics there.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO