I would second most of the advice you've already been given. I would also place emphasis on two points, breeding and handling.

I was a K9 handler for my state Dept. of Corrections for 10 years. After working with and observing several breeds in that time I came to the conclusion that proper breeding of a GSD was more important than almost any of the other breeds. Not that its not important in any breed, but simply, that it was very easy to see the performance, health and ease of training that comes from starting with a well bred GSD. Also understand that within the breed you will find a wide range of temperament and responsible breeders will want to make sure that your family pet is best suited to your family needs.

Make sure your dog gets obedience training and that your daughter is consistent with it. My working dog was hard working, trainable and eager to please. I had him for fourteen years and continued obedience and search work with him after he retired because he loved it so much. Even after all those years together he would still check me to see who was in charge. Anyway, a great breed and wonderful family dog. Hope your daughter gets one she can love for a long time.