Originally Posted by JoeMama
Hello all:

I know there is a wealth of knowledge on the 'fire.

My youngest daughter is within 10 days of turning 15. We are a 'dog' family. The time is now. She will be getting "her" dog this June. She wants a German Shepherd. I think this is a pretty good fit.

I would love to have the field narrowed down to three good breeders in the mid-Michigan area (within 100 miles of zipcode 48827). Let her play with the puppies and pick the one that has the best chemistry.

Does anybody have an opinion, informed or otherwise? Good health and stable temperaments are absolute requirements. PMs or responses to the thread are appreciated.

Females IMO are easier to handle/socialize in the protective breeds. That's admittedly based on a small sampling, one Rott and GSD I owned, and two of each that belonged to friends, that were well behaved in social situations. None of them gave up anything in ability to protect their people. That's what I'd suggest for your daughter.

GSD's shed a lot, and need frequent brushing, but the smarts make it worthwhile. As much as I liked my Rotts, I'll have another GSD when I retire, and she'll likely have a black face. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."