We are on our 2nd GS & she just turned 8.

There's been a lot of good advice here so I won't repeat a lot of what's been said, except to reinforce looking towards a pet/companion bred dog, & I would strongly urge you to get a female.

Your daughter must also be very strongly committed to the dog; as she & the dog both get older, she cannot forsake the dog for her friends or her high school activities.

GSD's are extremely intelligent & want to be with & go with their owners at all times. They are, IMO, the finest breed & the best companions of any breed.......they become the very next thing to human.

Ours goes with us or either of us, whenever at all possible; she is extremely protective of her property, is a better alarm than one from Brinks, will let no strangers approach her without being introduced w/o being overly aggressive.

She went through obedience & command training with us & her manners are impeccable. She is independent enough w/o being a problem & will always obey her commands, even in the presence of other dogs.

Bottom line is, a really good GSD will be fully committed to your daughter & likely your family, but the dog requires & deserves an equal commitment from your daughter & family to it.

I would never really consider any other breed of dog.

MM

Ilsa
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]