Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Every male dog I've ever owned has been super friendly with strangers and every female dog I've ever owned has been highly suspicious of strangers, regardless of breed. Anyone else notice this pattern with dogs they've owned? In fact the sire of one of our German Shepherds was so indiscriminately friendly that someone stole him. Her mother, however, was so aggressive with strangers that she had to be locked away when strangers came to the breeder's house.

No, that has not been my experience. As I mentioned earlier, we work at socializing ours, but out of the five I have right now, not a one of them are alike with their personality. They are all equally loyal, but some are more alert, and others laid back. Hate to quote Forrest Gump here, but they are indeed like a box of chocolates grin. I chalk that up to the intelligence and how you build their confidence. YMMV

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell