Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Every male dog I've ever owned has been super friendly with strangers and every female dog I've ever owned has been highly suspicious of strangers, regardless of breed. Anyone else notice this pattern with dogs they've owned? In fact the sire of one of our German Shepherds was so indiscriminately friendly that someone stole him. Her mother, however, was so aggressive with strangers that she had to be locked away when strangers came to the breeder's house.

<shrug> If my girl Alexis didn't know you and you approached her, she'd warn you off, but introduce her to the person and all was well. I saw similar behavior from the other two female GSD's. Of the Rotts, I can think of three females (not mine) that I walked up to, said, "good dog!" patted them on the head, and they thought I was fine smile

Of the four male Rotts I've known, two were teddy bears, one was unapproachable, and my guy Mauser was usually okay, but sometimes touchy. He was also so intimidating that few people ever DID casually approach him!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."