Paradox Final Thoughts-
----------------------

Having had the opportunity to spend most of November with a pre-production test Paradox 6300 w/ Day Talon, I thought I'd share my thoughts and impressions of the pack. We hunt a lot of big game from August to the end of November, or, depending on the year, until the end of December. Mainly out of a backpack, but often horses are a part of the mix. This November, many weekends got stretched long, multiple day hunts, 4 days out on elk opener and a 5 day + horse pack trip near the end of this year. So, while I didn't keep a log of exact time under the pack, it was more than a day or two�

First Impressions-
--------------------

Honestly, unpacking and examining the pack, I was skeptical. I'm a longtime Arcteryx and Mystery Ranch user, so this light, little pack didn't seem very confidence inspiring. Very minimalist and very, very light� ( I know, you're all thinking, "Well, anything'll seem light to a MR user!" )

Though Kevin, from Paradox, did stress that this was a pre-production example, quality seemed good. Tight, straight stitching. Flat, wrinkle free seams. No fraying, loose fabric.

I have had trouble in the past with getting a good pack fit, but even for me, the pack adjusted easily for fitting. The suspension is very different from any packs I've used or been around, but it seemed to work. I'm 5' 9", 185-190 with a 30" waist and long torso for my height. That scrawny waist, combined with most of my weight being in the legs and shoulders makes for a tough fit sometimes� Ideally, the belt on this example could've been a little smaller, but the design works so well that it was less of a problem than some other packs I've owned with a slightly large belt. VERY functional load lifters definitely help!

I tried it with 50ish pounds right away on stairs. Hhhmmm� In spite of the super stiff frame, very comfortable�

In Use-
---------

The pack mainly saw use hauling gear/camp in 6-10 kilometres for a spike camp, and then converted for use as a day pack. It saw day use as the complete pack only, though it's a nice option to have, the Day Talon was never used as a stand alone. Loads in the 45-55 pound were the norm. I did pack one, bone-in ( don't ask smile ) elk quarter with it, for around 6 klicks. The design is very user/role flexible. For example, one of our trips was with horses. For a couple of rides I just pulled the Talon, with my personal gear/emergency gear/tags, off and threw it into my saddle bags. Very handy. Most days we rode, at or before first light, from a large tipi spike camp to high country and ridges above. At the limits of horse country, we'd tie our mounts and hunt the high ridges all day. Those days, I rode with the full frame pack, it handles saddles pretty well, depending on the saddle, some better than others. This saddle capability is a plus and often a consideration, for us anyways...

Overall Impressions-
------------------------

It's been years since I've used a external, and even though the Paradox is kind've a hybrid-improved external, I'd forgotten how well they work. This pack plain old hauls... Very, very well. The frame and suspension is very stiff and comfortable under heavier loads. A few buddies tried the pack briefly. Very experienced backpackers and hunters, with tons of time under various packs, including Kifaru, Arcteryx, Mystery Ranch, Gregory, Lowe Alpine, etc., and they too were pleasantly surprised with the pack's comfort under load.

The XPAC is louder than Cordura. Not so much in wearing and carrying it, as Cordura is loud on branches and twigs anyways, but when loading or unloading. Especially in the cold, it's more 'crinkly'... Not a deal breaker for me, ( I shot my elk this year part way through loading up the pack after a lunch stop... ) but maybe for some guys and how they hunt? Personally, the waterproof claims of the fabric aren't a big plus for me, but again, maybe for some guys and where they hunt? It seems like it should be a pretty durable fabric.

The pack is a very minimalist design and has to be packed accordingly. There is no stay sheet to separate the pack bag from your back, so it must be packed with more care than the internals most of us are used to. After one reminder Via a MSR IsoPro can in my back, this was an easy adjustment for me... wink

Final Thoughts & Disclaimer-
---------------------------------

Overall, I'm very impressed by this pack. A very light, versatile and capable offering. It is worthy of consideration by anyone shopping for a new, light weight hunting pack.

I've yet to decide if I'll leave behind my trusty MR Grizzly or Bora80 for one. I'm actually planning on a few winter trips with my Grizz to re-familiarize myself with it and then decide. It would be a easy way to cut 5 pounds tho...

And finally, the 'Disclaimer':

I'm a nobody. Not sponsored by, affiliated with, or pro staff for anyone. Just some guy that loves, lives, works and plays in the the outdoors and backcountry. I know, and have gotten friendly over the years, with Kevin and Angie of SO merely as a satisfied paying customer. Angie sees many of my hunting/backpacking pictures thru other social media and so, I think, offered me a chance to try their pack out. I appreciate the opportunity and, as a 'many time unsuccessfully reformed gear-nut', have enjoyed trying this new pack out. Thanks & well done, Paradox!

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.