Originally Posted by safariman
And PA- LEEZE don't pipe up with that "I only take perfect shots" crap. Real hunting in the real woods, for really big and mature animals, does not allow that kind of selectivity.

Bears are not deer that flush and run after holding in tight cover as you approach. The hunting approach you take, to sit and wait them out, is the same one I take. No rushed shots at running game are typical in that scenario. Shot placement shouldn't be an issue. Bears usually lumber around fairly slowly, looking for food and such and working the wind carefully.

If I was worried about lengthwise shooting one, I'd probably shoot only Barnes bullets, although I don't think they're necessary, they might be good insurance. I get your concern for the extra energy of the large cartridge on a big bear at long range. It's like any game, the biggest specimens have an extra spark and will to live which may carry them a few more yards after a fatal hit, but they most certainly are going to go down just the same, 270 or 340, if a well placed and well constructed bullet are used.
All that said, it's REALLY nice to anchor them in their tracks rather than risk a runaway. I think of it like this- It doesn't have to be shot and live to be a failed hunt it only has to be shot and live long enough to increase the risk of you not being able to track it to where it dies.

I say pound 'em hard, especially the biggest ones at long range.

LOL