Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I don't think that Safariman was trying to hit the bear in the hips, nor was he saying that he is not a good enough rifleman--rather simply that the bear moved when he was shooting, so he hit it too far back.

My only observation is that a hip shot on a black bear could be made with most rifle using good bullets, and as such I disagree with the premise that a big magnum saved the day.

I think the saving grace was that he did hit the hips and broke the bear down, so that it couldn't get away with a lung shot only. I actually wonder how the story would have ended if the shot happened as originally planned, with the bullet angling up through the lungs from a steep raking angle. I could see that being a real rodeo.

Are you saying the bear wouldn't have died fairly quick if the bullet had went through the lungs? Granted, I've never shot a bear but I've busted lungs on a bunch of deer. They may go into 4-wheel drive as some say but I don't think one has ever lived more than a minute or so (at the outside) afterwards. Certain that none have required another shot, much less two the next morning.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org