We did, as a group, a fair amount of bear hunting in Maine, bumped into others along the way in NH and Vermont.

The two longest trailing jobs we had were from a 257 Robert with 115 NPT,and a 340 Weatherby with 210 NPT. In neither case was it a problem with the bullets, or the cartridges. In both cases, placement was a bit too far back to be ideal.This was another chapter in the same old lesson that kept repeating itself.

I have seen a pretty fair amount of game killed with magnum cartridges from 30 caliber and "up",and killed them myself. They are capable of producing some very dramatic kills. I have noticed that this occurs only when bullets from them land in the right place.This pretty boring news,but I have found it to be true.

I think it's silly to deliberately use a small cartridge on a large animal to prove a point....I also think it's equally silly to use a big cartridge under the mistaken notion that sheer power will make up for sloppy and indifferent bullet placement. Generally it does't work.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/02/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.