Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ironbender

The problem for many is the "oh look at me - I'm an awesome hunter" attitude that comes across in the posts. it just doesn't add up thataway.

I got a different slant from the yarn, namely that the original Campfire story was about a fellow that is having trouble getting around and his mate that had the decency to allow him to hunt on his land, the fluffed shot was added in as an "I fluffed this shot but I own my mistakes"...I found more focus on the part where JJHack was a good enough (read bloody terrific) friend to not only allow hunting but actually get off his backside and work to help a mate.

The winch is something I would have killed for when I was dragging roo carcases across the paddocks, particularly in irrigation.

And the piece on this thread I took to be a hackneyed attempt at a humourous swipe at the numerous premium projectile/small cartridge threads.

PS, "good God that hit" and "how the heck did that miss" shots happen, some people can own them and move on without feeling the need to dissemble.

(This thread has got boring so I am going into the kitchen to toast some bread and fry some bacon, mushrooms, zucchini on toast)

You're mostly right. The part that got under my skin was "the uber mag saved the day", when it didn't even kill the bear. I've heard that story too many times from "magnum guys". Of course 30-06 guys can be just as bad. I have a relative who once shot a beautiful buck in the neck at 90 yards, because that was the only shot he had. He then went on to tell me "I wouldn't have wanted anything else in my hands but a .30-06 for that shot". I didn't even know what to say. A Hornet could've brought that buck down with that shot at that range. I also get a laugh everytime a 30-06 guy says "I wouldn't have killed that fill in the blank if I'd been using a .270".