I don't have the actual message I left for customer service but it was related to the same issue many here are experiencing. My Sako is a Finnlight in 30-06. Fired cases eject straight up into the bottom of the scope whether I run the bolt fast, slow or in between. The scope is a Zeiss Conquest HD5 1" tube in Leupold Medium rings. Cases strike the scope and either fall back down on the follower or rattle around and manage to roll off the action.

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Beretta's Service Position on this issue is shown below:

"Occasionally, we receive customer complaints regarding Sako 85 rifles ejecting spent cases that either strike the scope or strike the scope turret and fall back inside the action of the rifle. This situation is predominately caused by both the scope mounts and type of scope (particularly scopes with extended turrets) installed on the rifle. A secondary consideration is how rigorously the bolt is operated by the user.

Beretta will not consider rifles that exhibit the condition above to be a warranty issue. Provided that the rifle fully extracts and ejects the spent casing, the rifle will be considered functional and serviceable. Sako cannot anticipate every possible scope mounting configuration when designing their rifles. Since the selection and installation of the scope and mounts are determined by the owner, it is the owner�s responsibility to ensure that the system will not interfere with the operation of the rifle."

Regarding your specific inquiry, there is no "fix" for this condition as the ejector is not adjustable in this rifle. The comments that you have read regarding "extractor spring pressure" are not valid. The spring pressure does not affect the ejection trajectory of the casing. The bottom line is if the rifle extracts and ejects the casing, it is considered functional.

Finally, in spite of the Internet chatter, a review of the service history for the Sako 85 rifle over the past 24 months indicates that a fraction of a percent of the rifles sold are returned for service for this issue.

Our suggestion would be to experiment with different scope mounts and/or type of scope to determine what will work best on your rifle.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

HOW DID WE DO? Take our one minute survey.

And yes, I took the survey. At the bottom there was a box for comments and I filled it.

This is refusing to take responsibility for a defective product. I will not stop here. I promise you that. To say this is not a known and obvious problem is an outright falsehood. The cartridge ejection system on the Sako 85 long action is faulty. When a cartridge case is ejected straight up with a modern bolt action at slow speed, moderate and fast speed it is not the fault of the rifle scope or mounts. Ejecting straight up the case will strike the scope no matter the tube diameter or ring height. I am extremely dissatisfied with your response. To respond in this manner is insulting. You are already getting extremely bad advertising because of your refusal to provide a remedy for this issue. I can assure you I will do my part to extend this service. Good day.

So according to Beretta it isn't a design fault or a parts fault or an assembly fault. It is the shooter's fault for mounting a scope with turrets. I'm accustomed to people lying but it really grinds my gut when they know it's a lie and know that I know it's a lie but ask me to believe it anyway. Not sure of the next step. Have other issues ongoing that require my attention. Bad time to deal with crap like that. I'm steaming.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."