https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Re_Sako_85_ejection_failure#Post7627099

Did you try LRCampos' $10 Gre'-Tan spring fix?

It would be impossible for your cases to eject straight up, unless the bottom half of the extractor claw was way off, or you had almost zero spring pressure.

Designed into the bolt is a small amount of clearance between the back of the inserted cartridge under the claw extractor and the bolt face. The claw, under spring pressure clamps down against the case within the recess of the bolt face. The only direction for the case to flip out from this grip, is in the angle toward the extractor claw. The initial upward motion is the case cocking upward under the claw within the space of that clearance against the standing ejector. Once that clearance is maxed out, the case would either need to push the extractor claw away against the spring tension to be released and allowed to continue straight up, or, there would have to be an insufficient/damaged claw on the bottom half of the extractor for the case to slip through and continue being pushed straight up.

If the claw is good, and the spring tension is good, the case will not push through the claw straight up. Once the case is tipped against the extractor, that play is gone, and then at that point, the standing ejectory pushes the case in the direction of the claw which is maintaining a grip on the case. The case then flips out and is ejected in that direction.

I'd not worry one minute about Beretta USA. They are the importer, not the maker. If you wish to attempt a cheap fix, and you have the skill to take apart the bolt, then do so. The spring is actually only about $2, but they come in a multi-pack, so the price runs up to about $10. You have a couple "non-gunsmith" options. Gre'-Tan makes a very good standard length spring, in addition, they make an extended spring, which was the one used by LRCampos. The spring is designed to be the same length as the spring recess is deep. This give enough clearance to add the plunger and then depress the plunger and spring deep enough to clear the extractor for installation and removal. The extended spring are designed to make corrections for when the recess is machined too deep for a standard length spring. Two methods of using the extended spring are to, one (1), deepen the hole to the same depth as the extended spring is long, or, two (2), trim the spring to the maximum length for it to fit. Either way, you end up with greater tension.

My size M action for 30-06 length cartridges has ample spring tension from straight out the box. The ejected case cannot push the extractor aside so to be ejected straight up. But, I must throw in a disclaimer in that I completely disassembled my bolt when new, and then cleaned and lubed all the parts. I am unsure if this slicked things up that otherwise may have been sticky, but the extractor fits properly and the tension is textbook perfect.

I have not made an attempt to do so, but it may be possible to temporarily increase spring tension, for purposes of testing, to the degree of nearly locking up the extractor solid by placing shim stock between the plunger face and the extractor notch. It would be temporary, because the shim would eventually walk itself out from repeated cycles. But, as long as the case is inserted from under the extractor, NOT, snapping the tight extractor over the case, you should see a dramatic change in the ejection angle, if it is currently going straight up.

Good Luck!

Edit to add:

At the chamber, from the firing pin center to the scope tube center measures 1.55". This should give you an idea how much room Mine has at the port in relation to yours.

[Linked Image]

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/06/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood