Another time my brother and I were out grouse hunting in the same general area. It had started raining so we decided to head back. As soon as we turned around there was a huge timber wolf with his nose down in our tracks that had been following about 30 feet behind us. When we locked eyes, he immediately jumped off the trail in to the woods. We never saw or heard him again.

Then last deer season, I had a wolf come into my position while still hunting after I did a doe bleat. He came in the first time just upwind and went past me. I tipped the can a few more times and he charged in, right now! As soon he got a little cross wind of me at about 20 feet he locked up and froze. I stuck my head out a little further from behind the tree I was standing behind and he jumped up, did a 180 and ran off. It was neat to experience not only seeing him, but to appreciate his hunting ability and how well they are able to pick the exact location of sounds.

In both instances I only saw one wolf, but wondered how many others were in the general vicinity.