I was sitting in a big pop up blind in October a few years ago with my bow on the Jim Terry ranch 12 miles north of Ozona. I had set it up against a big concrete water tank about five -6 ft high and maybe 20 yards in diameter.

They are pretty common in the western parts of the hill country in west Texas. They often have walls 2-3 ft thick and filled with rock and cement and make great swimming holes in the eastern reaches of the great American desert and many ranches have them near the house and corrals and have had many kids take advantage of that. They are typically fed by windmills in caliche rock country.

I was semi dozing in the bind as it cooled down one cloudy evening while sitting in a low chair. I felt something moving over my outstretched boots about ankle level and opened my eyes to see a huge king snake. I guess my mind knew it was a huge rattler before I got the eyes open good and identified it and let me tell you, I scared the crap out of that snake or something.

I figured the racket would keep the deer away for the rest of that day.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/23/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.