Besides humans there's really not much else if anything of a scary sort around here. I guess the potentially scariest thing I've happened on were the occasional old open well and cistern around long ago deserted grown over old homesteads. Luckily I've managed to see them before it was too late.

One well I remember was out in the middle of an open crop field a short ways from an old falling down derelict barn and a pecan tree. The well opening itself was about 3 feet across but over the years the dirt around it had formed sort of a slick funnel circling the well out a couple more feet. The well walls were brick or stone covered with slick moss. No idea how deep it really was. Even when the crops were gone it was still hard to tell it was there until you were almost right beside it. You'd never know it was there with a little growth of soybeans or corn.

I had to fish a neighbors beagle out of it one time when I was picking up pecans from the pecan tree one day late in the year. The poor goofy dog was running loose sniffing and pissing on everything decided to follow me. Next thing I knew it was down in the well splashing and swimming in circles and yipping. We had had a lot of rain recently so the well was full enough that I was just barely able to reach the dog and snatch it up by its neck and sling it out as far as I could over my shoulder. I wondered how many other animals met their end in old wells and cisterns. If a person fell in I doubt anybody could hear them holler for help.