Originally Posted by milespatton
You're kind of an enabler, aren't you.

How in the hell did you come up with that out of any of these posts? miles

I wondered the same thing, Miles. But... since he brought it up........ .

I doubt that cops have any different percentages of alcoholics in their ranks than any other occupational groups that make up the population.

But, from my vantage point, which is better than the average citizen, they ARE the worst group of "enablers". Partly because of that, the rate of recovery appears to be less than that of other bureuacrats, such as schoolteachers and postal workers. Drunk teachers are usually reported by their peers. Postal workers get reported by the general public.

I know that NONE of our forum cops have EVER covered up for a partner with a drinking problem, but they are not representitive of Law Enforcement as a whole.

In he case of our Sheriff I mentioned earlier, the whole damn courthouse crowd knew that he couldn't pass a breath test at any hour of any day, but his party supported him for re-election and he won. The County Judge, County Attorney, State D.A., and ALL the LEO's in the County knew Ed was a drunk, but not a one ever pointed it out to anyone who could have intervened.

One City Cop who WAS fired for being drunk on duty was still riding around with the DPS Troopers two years later, and still drinking. When I threatened to call the Col. if they didn't stop it, one of them told me he "thought they were helping him with his problem by allowing him to still feel a 'part of'."

But.. they immediately put an end to it. A few days after that, and after a couple of begging/threatening phone calls from the ex-cop, I discovered a 22 cal bullet hole thru the window of my house.

No.... I didn't report it. I just had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and it never happened again.

So.... I know a little about "enabling".

Last edited by curdog4570; 02/24/15. Reason: misspelled cop

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place