Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
It doesn't even matter if Adam and Eve are literal or not. The point is that on that day they partook of the knowledge of evil. Up until then they had only known good.Now they know both good and evil. It is the point at which evil entered into the world.

A.S.
I thought it a bit funny that you think I don't take the scripture literally. I actually do take it literally. I just don't get hung up on single points of scripture. I would much rather let all the scripture lead to a broader message.

RH, I've never taken you as a literal Young Earth Creationist?

I've heard the young 6000 year old earth theories. I've also heard theories that there was a first earth that fell into chaos at the fall of Lucifer. In other words, a vast amount of time took place between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. I don't really concern myself with either.

I would much rather look at the big picture of the story of Adam and Eve. it seems to me that it is the universal story of man first relying on himself rather than on God. Satan tempted man then just as he does now. Satan told man to gain knowledge so that he would be just like God, or in my view we could say a god to himself. Satan enticed man to commit the same sin that got him thrown out of Heaven. Satan decided to exalt himself so that he could be like God. Isn't that what man does even today? Isn't that the whole argument? Is God in control or are we gods to ourselves? Do we submit to God or do we control our own destiny?