Hey guys birthdays coming up and I'm looking to get my self a rifle for about a grand, definitely not more than 1500. This is not including optics as I have a conquest 3-9 x 40 I will be putting on it. Though I've hunted for years I have always been very frugal with my choices. My t/c venture in 270 has been awesome but I want to buy something "nicer" just because I want to. Confusing the search is the fact that I will continue to hunt primarily from treestand in new england with shots under 75 yards but often having to act very quickly . Deer are by far he most common target with a bear hunt and predator hunt occasionally. However I want to start doing more out of state hunts and want to do more practicing 300 -400 yards. I had the opportunity to briefly hunt in hawaii his year and axis deer around 300 yards away were beyond my comfort zone. I want to change this.
I''m most strongly considering a howa barreled action or vanguard and then throwing it in a mcmillan or manners. Can I do better? The not yet released weatherby weather mark intrigues me for some reason as does the vanguard back country. As you can tell I am biased towards weatherbys but not stuck on them.
Though I do not post here often I lurk a lot. I encourage sarcasm, hateful and off topic responses. Just to set the tone there is no a ay I'm gonna put a 20 ounce plus scope "stuck" in 6x on my rifle. Nor will I buy a poorly put together rifle requirig hours and hundreds of dollars in work because it's named after a state with mountains.