Originally Posted by rcarr
Hey guys birthdays coming up and I'm looking to get my self a rifle for about a grand, definitely not more than 1500. This is not including optics as I have a conquest 3-9 x 40 I will be putting on it. Though I've hunted for years I have always been very frugal with my choices. My t/c venture in 270 has been awesome but I want to buy something "nicer" just because I want to. Confusing the search is the fact that I will continue to hunt primarily from treestand in new england with shots under 75 yards but often having to act very quickly . Deer are by far he most common target with a bear hunt and predator hunt occasionally. However I want to start doing more out of state hunts and want to do more practicing 300 -400 yards. I had the opportunity to briefly hunt in hawaii his year and axis deer around 300 yards away were beyond my comfort zone. I want to change this.
I''m most strongly considering a howa barreled action or vanguard and then throwing it in a mcmillan or manners. Can I do better? The not yet released weatherby weather mark intrigues me for some reason as does the vanguard back country. As you can tell I am biased towards weatherbys but not stuck on them.
Though I do not post here often I lurk a lot. I encourage sarcasm, hateful and off topic responses. Just to set the tone there is no a ay I'm gonna put a 20 ounce plus scope "stuck" in 6x on my rifle. Nor will I buy a poorly put together rifle requirig hours and hundreds of dollars in work because it's named after a state with mountains.

I saw a beautiful little Remington mountain rifle BDL (Not DBM) in 280 rem that the shop owner says shoots good and would sell for $800.00 with leupold 3-9x40. Looks like new. If I had the $800.00 and was looking, that's probably the one I'd jump on right now... You don't have to pay "$1,500.00"+ to get into a nice hunting rifle.. Good luck with your search..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA