Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've had good experiences with my Tikka's, but IMO the Montana is way more rifle. I'd pick one up in 7-08 if I could find one, and even in the off-chance the barrel was no good, you could be into a mighty fine stock, trigger, action, and a match-grade barrel, and come in at or under budget.

Easy choice to me. If you were constrained by half the budget, then I could see living with a cheap plastic stock and going T3. But even then I'd probably just grab a Rem 700 and upgrade stock and trigger as funds allow.

I agree.

My 'Montana experience' has been favorable. Shooting the factory spout, but will need to re-barrel soon.

By the time I got happy with my Tikka T3s, with stocks, mags, etc. I had nearly the same invested.

I do like a 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08. Mine is straight factory issued for the most part, but will also re-barrel soon and still be under your budget.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson