Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunGeek
30% more expensive than Gold Dots...Not interested.

Prolly 150% deeper penetration, I'm very interested

150% deeper against what? Barriers? If so, what type? Tissue?

150% deeper than what load? JHP or FMJ? How does it compare to say a FMJ-FP in 124 or 147 grain. To my memory, the 40" of ballistic gelatin sounds like what you can get with a MUCH cheaper 9mm 147gr FMJ-TC/FP. ($1.50 per round for the Lehigh vs. $0.24 for Speer Lawman 147gr TMJ)

And the Lehigh is a non-expanding bullet. For self defense I prefer an expanding bullet. I find JHP's in the 124-147 grain weight range give me adequate penetration (for me), AND very good expansion.

Now I'm no expert on the Lehigh round, but it appears to be a very old idea making its rounds again... I think Charlie Kelsey, a brilliant gunsmith and the former mastermind behind Devel had a patent on that bullet design back in the '70's...and I think even then he wasn't the first to do it. Anyhow, the Lehigh round is non-expanding but does apparently produce larger than caliber wound channels, but still considerably smaller than that of most JHP's

If I were hunting with a 9mm then perhaps it would be interesting to me, but I don't hunt with a 9mm. For defense, I find my existing JHP's adequate for soft tissue and barrier penetration for most jobs.

So an extremely expensive 9mm FMJ isn't something that I find all that interesting.

What am I missing? Is there something amazing it's doing that I'm not catching?