Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jwp475

Yondering, you are correct many do not understand these bullets. There is definitely times when a deeper penetrating bullet would be desirable. The Extreme Defender is the best of both worlds wound channel like an expanding bullet with good penetration. The Extreme penetrator would be an excellent choice for protection against large predators for example.

These bullet are simply another option
I think I'm one that doesn't understand this bullet. From what I've seen the wound channel is only slightly larger than the starting diameter, but not anything comparable to an expanded JHP...So what am I missing? Help a brotha out.

A couple things:

First, look at the Defense bullet, not the Penetrator. The ED is the one that performs like a hollow point.

Second, it sounds like you're assuming that permanent wound cavity is only as large as the expanded diameter of the bullet; that is not necessarily correct. In low velocity solid lead bullets, maybe, but definitely not with modern hollow points or designs like this ED bullet. Tissue ejected laterally away from the nose of the bullet is responsible for a lot of the permanent wound channel, and that is highly dependent on design/shape of the front of the bullet. Gelatin does not simulate this very well, so don't rely on gel testing for that information.

Your 2,000 fps number is not accurate; I believe that could be true for non-expanding spitzer rifle bullets, but not for everything across the board. Velocity of the tissue ejected away from the nose is what matters, and that is a function of a lot more than just bullet velocity.

I think you're making some assumptions based on very old testing, and not realizing that a design like this Lehigh stuff does not work the same way. You have more questions than I can answer; all I can suggest is to go do some testing for yourself.