Originally Posted by GunGeek

What am I missing?

You should probably take a look at the Defender round instead of the Penetrator. Unless you've just got your mind made up that an expanding bullet is the only thing that will make you happy?

That Defender bullet is similar to the Penetrator, but has deeper flutes for more radial damage. It really does work, and causes damage like a good expanding bullet, but is not affected by punching through bone, clothing, wood, etc. I even tested it through 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate into water jugs spaced a foot behind the plate; it still damaged the jugs just like a hollow point would have without the plate in the way. BTW 9mm FMJ didn't penetrate the plate at all.

It may not be for everyone, but it is an advancement over currently accepted defensive bullet designs. Part of the "magic" involves using a light bullet for high velocity to cause a lot of damage without excessive recoil or pressure, but making that bullet tough so that it penetrates deeply. The concept is effective, and does a lot more damage than a heavy slow hard cast bullet in my testing, but still penetrates as deep as you need it to (depending which bullet design you choose).

I will say though that the Polycase/Ruger rounds, which are marketed to perform similarly, do NOT measure up the same way. I tested 45 Auto and 9mm loads; they were OK but not as good as hot Gold Dot loads or the 90gr Defender.

If you can read it, each bullet hole is labeled with the round. The holes labeled "90gr ED" were the Lehigh Extreme Defense bullet. Please ask questions about these, there is more to point out that I won't go into detail about if you guys aren't interested.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 11/02/16.