Splitting the quote for clarity

Originally Posted by GunGeek

The problem I'm having is I can't find anything quantifiable on the wound cavity, just anecdotal; and I don't accept anecdotal as scientific; especially when the anecdotal comes from the people trying to sell a product. Let's be real here, bullet salesmen have a history of being very much like snake oil salesmen.

Fair enough, and that's why I say don't believe Lehigh or anyone else (including me), try it for yourself. That's the only way to get real quantifiable data that you can really trust, IMO. I was very skeptical of Lehigh's claims (partly because of the "Extreme" naming), and did not believe it until I tried them myself. I have seen impressive permanent wound cavities from these in wet paper, melons/pumpkins/etc, and small game, but did not record the measurements you're asking for, or take pictures.

For example, the boys wanted to shoot a pumpkin last night, so we tried one of the 90gr ED bullets to compare to a good expanding cast hollow point. The hollow point left an entry hole about the diameter of my pinky and an exit like a silver dollar, but I could wiggle my thumb around in the entry and exit holes of the ED bullet (exit hole was the same size, one of the interesting features of this design). I didn't measure them, and it doesn't necessarily correlate to meat; I just point it out as an example.

Regarding the 2k velocity thing, I don't understand your statement (below) in the context of my comments about stretch cavity.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Velocity of the tissue ejected away from the nose is what matters

I think that was supposed to be a statement to refute the 2k velocity thing...Like, the velocity of the projectile isn't as important as the velocity of the tissue ejected away from the nose...is that what you're getting at?

The problem is, the velocity of the tissue being ejected away from the nose can't be any higher than the velocity of the projectile; so I'm not getting your statement.
Maybe, but it can be a whole lot lower, depending on the bullet shape. Don't assume it is always equal to bullet velocity.

Maybe you can clarify...because I think you may be understanding something I'm not and I'm hoping you can educate me. I also know myself, and I know that while I have a decent grasp on terminal ballistics, I'm far from an expert, and there are those on these forums that understand it much better than I do (such as yourself and JWP475, as well as a few others). So I'm hoping for a learning opportunity here.

Velocity of tissue ejected to the side is dependent on shape of the bullet and bullet velocity (among other things); trying to put a bullet velocity number like your 2000 fps on this across the board assumes that shape of the bullet doesn't matter, which is not correct. That 2000 fps number may be correct for round nose or spitzer designs that don't push material away to the side as fast.

Think about a round nose or FMJ pistol bullet (non-tumbling for sake of argument), where material pretty much flows around the nose with relatively little lateral force. Now compare that to an expanded hollow point, with essentially a very large flat in the front, that pushes material to the side much faster even if the bullets are going the same speed. The ED design acts more like the hollow point, but it's the flutes in the sides, rather than the nose, that scoop material out to the side at high velocity.

Or, think about what happens when you pee on a flat rock. That splash effect is what I'm referring to.

Last edited by Yondering; 11/04/16.