Originally Posted by 41rem
Fyre, those Speer 220 grain, they the 1/2 -jacket soft points? Those are getting hard to find, how they work on game?
I have a few boxes of the 200 grain hollow points

yup, those are the 220gr 1/2 jackets.

i tried them after having some softer hollow-point bullets become too explosive when shooting at really fast speeds...i shoot rifles in .41mag, .414supermag, and .411jdj, and some loads will send 210/220's at about 2000 fps.
the speer 220's still provide plenty of expansion , but penetrated more than most JHP designs....because they have dried up i've tried to save them for hunting use.

i still have a couple of boxes of the speer 200gr 1/2 jacket hollow points, to me they seemed to expand about like the other various 210HP's available.
i have also shot several deer & pigs with the Remington 210 JSP (now also discontinued), and at higher speeds it worked pretty well, but they have mostly dried up as well.

One other custom bullet i use in fast .41loads, and my favorite .414bullet, is the 250gr double cannelure soft point made by a fellow named Joe Cullison (Outlaw bullets), his email was jcunclejoeaol.com ;
he also used to make it in a 240gr JHP.

some info on the 240's...scroll down a bit & you'll see pix of his bullets:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/2705/414-supermag-grain-jacketed-input

and, some pix of his 250 gr .41 JSP i recovered from a whitetail buck that was coming straight towards me at about 50 yards:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

i havent ordered from him in a couple of years, if he's still making them i have found them to be both accurate & very good performers on game.
in fact, i need to order more of the .250's, going to send him an email...

============================================================