Originally Posted by GunDoc7
This is clearly the thread to hijack just a bit for a question. I am thinking of messing around with heavy bullets. For the .41 I am thinking about 270 grains. I am not interested in terribly high velocity, about 1100 would be fine. The gun in question is a 4-inch S&W M58, no-dash. Would a 270 hard cast lead bullet at 1100 beat this revolver up too much? If so, would you suggest dropping bullet weight, velocity, or both? (For context, I am considering 300/1100 in a .44 Mag. Ruger Bisley. But I am not terribly worried about such a load in that revolver.)

Thanks in advance. If this should be moved to a separate thread, I will be happy to do so.

-Gun Doc

...no not at all... Your problem with the Model 58 is the gun is factory sighted in for 210 grain bullets and can tell you from experience that the 270s will be 8 or so inches high at 25 yards... And the slower the bullet the higher it is going to be.

My favorite loads in the 4" 57/58s are all with 210-230 grain bullets with 8-9-10 grain of Unique.

8.0 will run 930-970 fps depending on the bullet duplicating the original 210 grain Police load.

9.0 runs 1100 fps and is what I use with lead HPs, Speer Gold Dot HPs and Barnes all copper HP for defensive work.

10.0 runs 1180 fps and use with the same JHPs but change the bullet to a solid for penetration or PentaPoint for hunting.

If you have not seen this there is a lot of good information in the links and posts here...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276144-41-magnum-special-data-center

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....